Highs and lows
You guys wouldn’t believe how many problems I’ve had trying to get this video together. Memory limits, errors, bugs, glitches.. You name it, its happened.
How about Crysis breaking and no longer working? Yep that too. Im reinstalling now..
All I can do is laugh really, because although I’ve had a stupid amount of trouble, I have had some pretty huge wins too.
In an effort to make things look a bit nicer, i decided to implement depth of field with bokeh, which works a treat and looks lovely, but its restricted to a pre defined focal length and strength, so its only good for screen shots. So for a more versatile option, i started working with a dynamic depth of field flowgraph from an abandoned Crysis project called EIM. This flowgraph was broken and didn’t work properly, but after some trial and error, it started to make some sense and i got it working as deaired. So now the depth of field changes based on where you’re looking. The strength increases when looking at closer objects, but decreases for further away areas, so its not obtrusive. It also sharpens anything that’s really close, adding a bit more detail, which is a nice touch.
The bokeh looks awesome, particularly when laying on the ground looking at close objects like small rocks and sticks, as the suns shining through the trees in the distance, creating really sparkly bokeh balls. I love it.
After this i started working on some other flowgraphs from the same project; Contrast and Color Correction and “Camera Noise”, which adds some really nice shaky-cam style effects when walking around. It looks great and after a few tweaks its not overly strong like it was in EIM.
I also added a vignette to the camera, but found a few glitches when the viewing angle shifted above or below 30-40 degrees, causing a few flickers. I decided to remove it and I’ll add it back in later with a filter during encoding.
While all this was going on I decided I might as well texture and detail the beach construction site, to make sure everything looks good. I won’t go into details, but it looks a hell of a lot better. If it wasn’t for the low detail solids that its made from, I’d almost keep it!
Now here’s the kicker. The high res video I was encoding was not only causing an insufficient memory error, but had it not crashed, its estimated time to complete was 14.5 hours!
So I’m now recording in 1920×1220 and cropping the top and bottom to get the 1080 I need for the codec to work.
As soon as the video has finished encoding and is actually uploading, (after crysia installs first..) I’ll post some new screenshots using the new flowgraphs, I think you’ll love em.
No word on when this will happen, as I’ve simply had way too many problems to make an acurate estimate!
Just stay tuned. Again 😉